Friday, July 31, 2009

Researching Modern Slavery


Today I’m taking a “berry” break and instead I am researching material about modern slavery so I can share information with people on Justice Pie day. I ordered the excellent video “We Were Free” from the International Justice Mission and also viewed many YouTube videos. It leaves me simply heart-broken to hear the stories and see the faces of these enslaved people. Heart-broken and ANGRY. We live in such freedom here in Canada. Most of us do not even know modern slavery exists. Today, on July 31, 2009, 27 million people are not free. That is the equivalent of almost the entire population of our country. I don't undestand why the media, governments, churches, etc. do not speak out more about this terrible tragedy. Slavery flourishes because of our silence. Thank God for organizations like the International Justice Mission! Here is another video from the amazing Zach Hunter on modern slavery and what ordinary people can do: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3_V84gbUZs&feature=related.