Thursday, July 30, 2009

Test Pies


Today, I cleaned and froze the raspberries, which is not nearly so fun as picking them! Then I decided to try out two new recipes: one for raspberry pie and the other for lemon cream. Evan and his friends wanted to help and even scalloped the edges of the pie for me. I was most impressed! We invited the neighbours over to help eat all this pie and that was a wonderful and unplanned bonus from this whole project: getting to know my neighbours better. One of my neighbours is a recent immigrant to Canada and had never tasted raspberries before. She loved them and she also shared stories of foods from her homeland. My parents had been visiting and had brought a blueberry pie – so the house is stocked with pie: blueberry, raspberry and lemon. I think I’ll have to invite more pie-eating friends over today! Or, perhaps I’ll let Evan and his friends polish them off for being so helpful. Justice pie day is going to be a tasty event!