Saturday, August 1, 2009

Helping Hands


I’m cutting and freezing peaches and baking a test butterscotch pie today. Evan and three of his friends are hanging around and splitting their time between playing computer games, going for a swim, playing guitar hero, and helping me. At 11 and 12 years old they are such nice boys and I’m sure they will grow into wonderful men who will be part of the good in the world. They make me laugh with their young exuberance and joy. The boys will chop fruit for a bit, help with the pastry, run to ask the neighbours for a cup of sugar, and even politely listen if I talk to them about modern slavery. But they will soon break in with what they are more interested in: 1) asking me when can they try some of the pie or 2) telling me about their latest adventures in their favourite computer game just now: WarCraft.

They have convinced me to join up to WarCraft, and I’ve set up a troll-like character called Brightheart. She goes on fantastic adventures and quests guided by these faithful boys (whoops, I mean elves, warriors and mages!). Thank you dear boys for helping me! You are too young to really understand the issues around modern slavery and I know none of you are into baking, but you help anyway just because you are kind and nice and good. I’m very touched to have you at my side, unlikely warriors, all of us. May God bless your helping hands!