Wednesday, July 15, 2009

About Pies and Justice


I’ve been talking about pies and justice with my family during these summer days. Pie seems to remind people of comfort, happy memories and family celebrations. In my family, blueberry is the front runner in terms of favourite pies. It must be the northern Ontario influence and the many summer days spent picking blueberries! To me, blueberries are simply the taste and smell of summer baked inside a pie. In my husband’s family, their favourite pies are more varied, but strawberry-rhubarb makes the top of their list (closely followed by sentiments such as “I never met a pie I didn’t like”).

And we’ve been speaking about justice as well. Justice runs deep in both families and our relatives have been involved in a wide variety of justice issues, including: the environment; fair trade; third world development; prisoner support; hospital volunteering; refugees; addictions counselling; poverty and just being there for people who need help. These family members remind me that we can and should take action to make a difference in the lives of others . Pies and justice – they’ve made for wonderful summer inspiration!

I’ve been also researching and reading more about modern slavery. Here is a video of Zach Hunter who founded “Loose Change to Loosen Chains”: www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiSYovHLtlU&feature=fvsr. Zach is young and deeply committed to addressing modern slavery. I hope Zach’s vision and passion inspire the young people who will be helping to make Justice Pies.

Thank God for organizations and people who care about justice!